XEQT vs. VGRO vs. VFV: Which Pays the Most Dividends? (2023)

All of XEQT, VGRO, and VFV are growth stocks, meaning the benefit of investing in them comes by waiting for them to grow in value per share.

They are not typically considered dividend stocks even though they pay quarterly dividends. When investing in these 3 ETFs, you should not be focusing on how much dividends you are getting, as the potential lies more in their future growth.

Still, if you're curious, I have calculated an estimate of how much dividends these 3 ETFs are paying based on my experience holding them.

XEQT vs. VGRO vs. VFV: Which Pays the Most Dividends? (2023)


iShares Core Equity ETF Portfolio (XEQT)

For every $100 I invested in XEQT in the past year, I received an average of $1.9046 in dividends.

If someone were to invest $10,000 into XEQT, they'd receive around $190.46 in dividends for the year.

XEQT is an ETF that tracks the performance of S&P companies in the US (± 43%), companies in Canada (± 24%) as well as companies in other parts of the world (± 33%). Geographically, it is a well-diversified ETF when compared to VFV which only tracks the performance of S&P 500 companies in the US.

XEQT dividends are paid quarterly in March, June, September, and early January.


The dividend calculations in this post are tracked from my own investments purchased from April 2022 to April 2023.

I purchased my stocks on random dates which I did not keep a close track of, so that would affect my calculations and it would be slightly different from official results.


Vanguard Growth ETF Portfolio (VGRO)

Around 80% of the holdings VGRO has are similar to that of XEQT, where the remaining ± 20% are fixed income assets (e.g. bonds). ± 80% of VGRO are equity spread across the US (± 35%), Canada (± 24%), and the rest of the world (± 22%).

For every $100 I invested in VGRO the past year, I received an average of $2.1387 in dividends.

Out of the three ETFs in this post, VGRO paid me the most dividends in the past year. VGRO dividends are paid quarterly in January, April, July, and October.

If someone were to invest $10,000 into VGRO, they'd receive around $213.87 in dividends.


Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF (VFV)

VFV tracks the performance of S&P 500 companies in the US only. It is the Canadian equivalent of US-listed VOO (Vanguard 500 Index Fund ETF), and it does not hold any bonds or direct exposure to companies outside the US.

Dividends from VFV are paid quarterly in January, April, July, and October.

For every $100 I invested in VFV in the past year, I received an average of $1.3316 in dividends.

If someone were to invest $10,000 into VFV, they should receive around $133.16 in dividends for the year.

Over and Out

August 18th, 2023 Update:

I have now sold off all of XEQT and VGRO from my portfolio, while still holding VFV as growth stocks. I try not to consider the dividends between these 3 ETFs very meaningfully, as their potential lies in the growth.

I chose to keep VFV because even though it is the least diversified out of the 3 ETFs, it seems to have the strongest potential for growth (it grew by >50% over the past 5 years, compared to XEQT which grew by >30% and VGRO which grew by >19%). More about this here.

Of course, it's impossible to predict the future, so no one can say with 100% certainty that the value of S&P 500 ETFs like VFV will keep growing in the future, but I do have other (dividend) stocks to keep my portfolio diversified, so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not investing in XEQT and VGRO any longer.

A table summary of the average dividend payouts I received from XEQT, VGRO, and VFV between April 2022–April 2023:
Dividends Every $100 Invested $1.9046 $2.1387 $1.3316
Dividends If $10,000 Invested $190.46 $213.87 $133.16
Dividend Payouts Quarterly
(Mar, Jun, Sep, early Jan)
(Jan, Apr, Jul, 
(Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct)
Holdings ± 100% equity in the US, CA, rest of world ± 80% equity and ± 20% fixed asset income in the US, CA, rest of world ± 100% equity in S&P 500 companies in the US only

Your Turn

Which of VGRO, XEQT, or VFV do you own? Do you own only one or all of them?

Connect with Ryan

Find Ryan from DoorToRiches on X (Twitter), Threads, and Reddit for more finance content. Feel free to say hi!